Friday, September 19, 2008

Meeting Dr. Callahan

I had an opportunity to meet with Dr Callahan yesterday as he prepares for his consultation with our church on revitalization. I guess I can say I met with a superstar :) I was face to face with "the" high power consultant for church growth and revitalization. I even shook his hand, a couple times. :)

Dr. Callahan is actually very down to earth. He does not have the stuck up self centered personality that I expected from a "big shot". He is actually very pleasant, friendly, intelligent and even humorous. Talking to him make me realized that he is actually very good at what he does.

People tell me that we are wasting our time and money getting a high priced consultant to teach us how to grow our church. They lectured me that we do not need another method or another way... We just need to have faith and do what we are supposed to do and our church will grow. I sincerely hope that Dr. Callahan will prove them wrong.

Dr. Callahan does not claim to have a quick fix to take us to the promise land anytime soon. He is helping us with what he knows from his experience. The revitalization is a long term plan, at least a three to five years project. Nobody will dispute that we need wisdom, faith and the Holy spirit to be with us to grow. Nor will anybody dispute that God will lead the way.... but does it occur to us that God has been showing us the way but we just have not realized it or we just have not been listening?

Dr. Callahan casually shared some tips on improving our worship service with us last night that sounded so simple and so straight forward but we could never have thought of it in a million way by ourselves. I think that proved that we need help and Dr. Callahan can help us. We seek help when we are sick or not feeling well. Why can't we seek help if our church has been stagnant for so many years? I think we need to jump out of the tiny well that we have been coop up for so long. It is time for us to humble ourselves and submit ourselves to let Him lead us. We could think of Dr. Callahan as God's messenger sent to show us some pointers and the rest of course is up to us and the Holy Spirit.....

I am so looking forward to hearing him speak this weekend, starting from tonight...

2 comments:

Roderick Yong said...

If there is a huge increase in attendance, can the church handle it - manpower wise?

Robert Yong said...

Of course!